I just did my post-marriage medical test and realized that I haven't maintained properly especially my blood cholesterol level; this time it's not that hard.. just gotta reduce 5kg that I have gained especially in the winter.
BMI is the acronym of Body Mass Index which is a statistical measure of body fat based on our height and weight. You don't need to visit a doctor to calculate your BMI and it's easy as googling or you can quickly see the BMI assessment for your body on the chart below. This can be easily determined if you know your weight and your height. So what does BMI tells you? It gives you a quick indication of which category you falls in, normal weight (BMI = 18.5-24.9) Overweight (18.5-24.9) or Obesity (BMI => 30).
If you fall under the normal category you could put your feet up and have a lip-smacking Krispy Kream doughnut but the next category wouldn't give you that luxury yet you may have to seriously control your diet along with regular exercises. Last category is the worst and you don't want to be there. Because Obesity is now established as an independent risk factor for atherosclerosis and coronary heart disease. It is also part of a cluster of symptoms (others include, hypertension, hyperlipemia, diabetes) which make up the condition known as insulin resistance syndrome - itself a predictor of adverse heart health. So for optimum cholesterol levels and heart health, we all have to maintain a healthy weight (BMI 20-24.9). If you are overweight (BMI 25-29.9) or obese (BMI > 30) you gotta follow a healthy weight loss diet and you will see an improvement in your cholesterol bloodwork.
I'm not paranoid nor a medi freak but I would love to learn more about contemporary preventive measures and share my findings among everyone; therefore, keep tunned, in my next blog I will dig more about cholesterol and best practices to fight against it.

6 comments:
BMI is an important factor for people like us specially. We don’t get the required nutrition nor the required exercise. So controlling the BMI could be a hefty task. After my spine episode I had to totally give up all kinds of workouts for a year now. But I never increased my food intake and reduced that too gradually. So my weight dropped from 87kg to 75kg. Guess going veg also helped me with that.
Feather man(a.k.a B): I remember the good old days we used to gym together, what happened to your spine mate? You were a fitness freak and that kind of an injury must have cost a lot to keep up your spirits.
However drastically changing the diet also not advisable coz our body is used to certain type of diet. According to the nutritionists change has to be gradual. For eg. If you're planning to become a vegetarian or vegan after being a omnivore for a long time, it is highly recommended follow advice from a nutritionist. Furthermore, if you start eating enough raw and cooked vegetables each day, you will find it difficult to maintain your previous weight. But gradually limiting the amount of meat, dairy and processed foods that you consume would help to achieve optimum results. I'm neither a nutritionist nor a diet expert to advice but I have gradually gained wee bit of acquaintance in this area.
It has not been proven that consumption of animal protein leads to cancer but of course it will increase the level of (LDL) Low-density lipoprotein (Bad cholesterol), but there are literally hundreds of studies that show that high levels of fruit, vegetable, greens and bean and omega-3 rich food (mackerel, salmon, herring, sardines and tuna) consumption lead to weight loss and reduced levels of life threatening diseases.
I think a small workout injury went bad after years of ignorance. Well here I'am now at one place in silence. Still I cant travel long distance or sleep on comfy beds unfortunately. But I'm quite recovered comparing to the gone year.Well mate it was a punch in the face for me.Loosing the ability to work out was a tragic.
Going veg was not a issue for me. Now its beeing 3 years and still not finding it hard to live with. Wanted to give up diary foods too but couldnt do it coz there is hardly any thing to eat.
A very informative post I'd say...
I have quite a difference between what my BMI should be and what it is now.. Used to work out and keep it in line with the right level..
BUT, alas things started to go wrong.. first in Dec last year, got a back pain so I can't work out now.. no aerobics, no nothing..
Then the Ligament on my right ankle stretched... and so it's prone to hurt if I work out and stuff... and I'm on ankle guards on and off...sigh!
with these conditions I've only been advised to swim..and it wold also strengthen the back muscles... so I'm doing that now...
Food doesn't make much of a difference to me..afterall we all have different metabolism levels too... Mine's probably undefined!!! ;-) and i don't eat much anyway...
As for disease like Diabetes and Cholesterol levels and stuff, they can be hereditary too.. So if it prevails in your generation, better be careful...
Feather Man: Glad to hear that you're gradually recovering. Shall bell you sometime - I hope you haven't changed `three4four` ;-)
Lady Divine: Poor thing….but in a way you're lucky coz you can at least swim to keep up. I could barely swim but never improved after 3 fatal incidents.. I wonder why my mother always warns me not to go even near a pool…She believes in horoscopes! I also have experienced ligament injury in my left ankle, grade II injury, and it cost me a hockey season and I though I'm not gonna play again but early motion exercises and weight bearing ankle training helped me to get back to the turf.
As you said high cholesterol level in the blood may also caused by a specific genetic defect. No wonder I have to try really hard to keep down my high-density lipoprotein (LDL - bad cholesterol) level. After all how can I stay away from dark chocolate… I'd rather suffocate myself…
Hell yes man Im still the same. That number is a part of ma life now :) lol.
Post a Comment