I'm a member of IEEE standard body and also working in Telco xSP industry where lots of product developments are happening in Wi-Fi/Wi-Max domain. Next generation Wi-Fi (803.11n) was drafted long ago but facing continued hurdles to finally being ratified. 802.11n is the fourth major version of the wireless networking technology known as Wireless-Fidelity. Originally announced in January 2004, the technology has been adopted in its "draft" form by many vendors, but finalization and ratification is still nowhere close to being done.
802.11n promises to deliver a fivefold increase in speed, and double the range of 802.11g. Indeed in many cases it's already delivering something approximating that, as pre-standard kit has been available for almost a year. Netgreat RangeMax NEXT Wireless-N Routers & Gateways product series extends the possibilities of wireless home networking by providing a Steady-Stream approaching 300Mbps, and is compliant with draft 802.11n. This would give you the luxury to stream high-definition videos from your laptop to media center TV while you're making internet phone calls, downloading mp3s or torrents. There are many other providers including D-Link, Belkin, Linksys, Netgear are already competes in the 802.11n space although the standard is not ratified yet.
One of the big problems now involves is the patents. Apparently Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) owns some patents that cross into 802.11n's world. And the CSIRO has not promised not to sue anyone who develops 802.11n technology. So the IEEE standards body, responsible for ratifying the protocol, waits and waits. Hoping something will happen.
This means that anyone who implements, or is implementing, 802.11n is at risk of being sued by CSIRO, and that the standard is very unlikely to be approved. Any equipment with draft 802.11n may already be infringing on CSIRO's patents, which could create a horrendous drama if CSIRO decides to sue.
Biggest concern is what would happen next. 802.11n shouldn't be the end of the line for Wi-Fi development. Will these problems cause development to end, or for vendors to start developing their own, incompatible technologies? I don't want my Linksys long range USB adapter to be incompatible with Netgear's NEXT router… who wants another HD DVD vs. Blu-ray war?

10 comments:
whoa.... The jargon in this is way too much for a lady of my nature to grasp...
oh my.. I kinda got a wee bit of understanding into it.. maybe I should read up a bit...
So, sorry that I can't contribute or give a proper comment to this..:-(
Ooops.. sorry about it...my fault. I should further minimize the use of tech jargon or else maintain a tech blog separately.
Anyways thanks for dropping by....:-)
Competition between technologies some times sucks. I hate it that when it happens. Luckily the blue ray and HD DVD war is not yet hear. And speaking of Wi-Fi we are not there yet too. Dialog has started to expand its Wi-Fi network and now some of the crowd gathering places are well covered.
In Aussie, Blu-Ray and HD-DVD movies have already taken space in rental shelves but players are still pricey unless you own a SONY PS3.
By the way, Kudos to Dialog for bringing Future technologies to SL.
hi sexy..
im waiting for ur cricket update;-)
hope this is isnt ur last blog..!
I want not approve on it. I think nice post. Particularly the title-deed attracted me to be familiar with the sound story.
Genial post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.
Genial post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.
great read. I would love to follow you on twitter.
Post a Comment